Quick Summary: The world would be a better place if hospitals would have been taking ‘experience’ as seriously as Disneyland does. Ironically, theme parks don’t even require work on experience as they are made that way. But when it comes to healthcare settings, ‘experience’ must be added separately.
While several healthcare settings have lately scaled up their workforce to meet the demand, the lack of technology to manage the hundreds of medical staff and their scheduling restrict them from deriving high human ROI.
Thus, in this blog, we will discuss the most workable and reliable solution for healthcare workforce management – nurse scheduling software. The topics we would cover include use cases, benefits, compliance, development etc.
So, let’s get started.
First thing first, do you really require a nurse scheduling software or web app?
Acquiring software for nurse scheduling is a big deal. It might also get financially overwhelming for you. Thus, you must assess your requirements and then only come to the conclusion.
Let us help you in making your most important decision.
What are the benefits of nurse scheduling software?
Being a healthcare IT company, we have witnessed several healthcare entities including senior care homes and home care agencies deriving multiple benefits from nurse scheduling software. The following are the major ones.
Which are the use cases of a nurse scheduling app?
Use cases are what make you derive high ROI. If a use case of any software is irrelevant to your needs, you can never be able to leverage that software for your gain. And thus, you end up with zero or very little ROI.
Now it's even easier for your #nurses to connect with their schedule. @NurseGrid, the #1 nurse scheduling app, is now available on Apple Watch and Wear OS. View shift details and available swaps, pickup open shifts, and more — all from your watch. https://t.co/BZAwkjipGg pic.twitter.com/nafOvfOAHy
— HealthStream (@HealthStream) April 25, 2022
Which are the different healthcare entities that can capitalize on the nurse (medical staff) scheduling software?
Healthcare workforce management has been a major challenge for all healthcare entities. With minor customization in the software, any healthcare entity can capitalize on medical workforce management software.
Which are the compliance requirements you must keep in mind?
Well, this is the most crucial point. So, we are expecting your highest level of attendance.
Healthcare is a very regulated industry. Several federal and provincial-level regulations apply to healthcare digital solutions. For example, HIPAA does apply in the USA. PHIPA does apply in Ontario, Canada. PIPEDA does apply to you in Canada and GDPR does apply in Europe.
The purpose of these laws is to govern the way healthcare digital solutions collect, use and share personal and clinical information of users (patients).
Talking about the nurse scheduling platform, it does not require to be compliant with healthcare privacy laws as it does not handle patient data.
However, we suggest you at least follow HIPAA guidelines while building it as being HIPAA compliant is all about having almost zero privacy and security vulnerabilities in the product.
What is the process of building a nurse scheduling app?
Well, if this is your first time, you must have the wrong impression that app or software development is all about coding. The reality is, coding is only 30% of the successful product. The Remaining 70% includes several other phases.
Frequently asked questions for nurse scheduling solution development
In simple terms, it totally depends on your needs. For instance, the technology stack, features, development time and team size. These are all the major aspects that influence the development cost. Thus, it is not possible to predict the precise cost without knowing your requirements.
Similar to how we test drive the car to evaluate its performance, QA testing is essential to analyze the performance of the software. Comprehensive testing gives close insights into the areas that require improvements. This eventually leads to a better user experience.
There is a big difference between the software you use and the software you own.
Third-party solutions come up with less functionality and scalability and it’s costlier on a long-term basis. They charge very strategically planned subscriptions which gives you limited access to their product.
While custom nurse scheduling software is built as per your unique needs that completely ensures high performance, security, scalability, high ROI and flexibility along with cost-effectiveness on a long-term basis.
The development time also depends on your features, functionality, and usability requirements along with the complexity of the project. Each stage of development takes a different amount of time. But in general, it requires a minimum of three months to build custom software for nurse scheduling. After all, greatness takes time.